Rowan County is very family-friendly. One of the best things about living or visiting here, are the numerous ways of spending quality time as a family.
There’s lots of great weekday and weekend fun to be had and adventures to be made throughout the year. Here’s a list of various ‘Mommy & Me’ or ‘Daddy & Me’ activities you can try as a family right here in Rowan County, North Carolina.
Experience Pick-Your-Own Farms
Agritourism is a popular trend for family day-trips and luckily Rowan County is blessed to have several pick-your-own farms ripe for the picking. Rowan is home to two blueberry farms – Elium Berry Farm and Talia Farms. Blueberries are typically ripening in early July and peak at the end of the month. Patterson Farm Market & Tours has locally grown strawberries every spring (mid-April through the 1st week of June – weather permitting). Visit on a weekday and enjoy a 1:00 p.m. Puppet Show and play time at Pawpaw Carl’s Playground. Beginning in mid-November and through the holidays, make a visit to Pine Top Farm in Salisbury to cut your own Christmas tree.
Tour the NC Transportation Museum in Spencer, North Carolina
Numerous events are offered throughout the year including the very popular Day Out With Thomas™, Fire Truck Festival, The Polar Express™ Train Ride, and more! Check their website for full details.
Enjoy FREE playtime at one of the many city and county parks.
- China Grove Parks
- Gold Hill Mines Historic Park – Take a guided tour of this historic mining town and learn about North Carolina’s gilded age of gold discovery.
- Granite Quarry Parks
- Kannapolis Parks is home to the award-winning Summer Entertainment Series, splash pad, Rotary Express Train, and carousel all located at Village Park, near downtown.
- Rockwell Park
- Rowan County Parks is home to the most visited attraction in Rowan County, Dan Nicholas Park, and the first fully accessible playground in Rowan County at Ellis Park.
- Royal Giants Park in East Spencer opens their NEW splash pad in June of 2019.
- Spencer Parks
- The City of Salisbury Parks – Don’t miss their annual Summer Movies in the Park series at City Park occurring multiple dates May through August.
You don’t have to drive all the way to Asheboro to see exotic animals at the zoo.
Take a dip at one of the many community and private pools.
Watch a movie at the historic Gem Theatre.
Catch a Kannapolis Intimidators game.
Visit the NC Museum of Dolls, Toys & Miniatures.
View their amazing collection of toys that are entertaining for both young and old. The museum is open Thursday to Saturday, 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. or by appointment.
Now it’s time to learn, grown, and share those special moments with your child.