Spring is in the air! If you take a simple stroll around you will see the beautiful colors of spring beginning to show. There are blossoms on barren trees, along with little flowers beginning to bloom around the county. As the weather warms and we begin to get outside a little more, there are plenty of opportunities awaiting in the county. From educational to carefree, between March and April, there are several ways to fill your calendar. Most of these activities are even free! As Robin Williams once said, “Spring is nature’s way of saying, ‘Let’s party!’”
NC Transportation Museum
We are fortunate to be the home to what was at one time Southern Railway Company’s largest steam locomotive servicing facility. The Museum is over 60 acres with several different exhibits and events happening year-round. There are options for families as well as a couple’s night out. Be sure to visit one of our county’s hidden treasures this Spring and enjoy making memories!
The museum is open Tuesday through Saturday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. and Sunday 12 p.m. -5 p.m. Children two and under are free and ticket prices range from $4-$12 depending on what you would like to do. Turntable rides are available at select times Tuesday through Saturday for only $1. They have quite a few upcoming events planned:
- Now-March 29: Special Exhibit – Blackbeard’s Queen Anne’s Revenge
- March 14: St. Patrick’s Train – Dinner Train
- March 7, 14, 21 and 28 and April 4: At the Throttle: STEAM
- March 21: Wind and Wings: The Science of Flight
- April 4-5 and 10-11: Easter Bunny Express
- April 17-18: Tractors and Trains Festival
Have you heard the exciting news? Starting April 18 from 9 a.m. -12 p.m. Salisbury Farmer’s Market will be opening in its new location. The market will now be at 228 E. Kerr Street under a covered shelter. The local vendors provide all sorts of goods from baked goods to soaps and even fresh flowers. This year you will be protected from the elements and can enjoy shopping and supporting local even if it’s not a sunny Saturday.
If you are in the southern Rowan region or are unable to attend a Saturday morning market, the China Grove market is sure to please. This market is from 4-6 p.m. on Fridays from May through September at the China Grove Roller Mill.
Warm weather makes us all want to get outside and exercise our bodies while taking in the fresh air. There are several wonderful parks in our county that provide endless hours of fun for all ages. The majority of our parks provide covered tables for picnic lunches and some also have walking and hiking trails. If you would like a more structured activity there are a couple to pick from.
- March 28: Mount Hope Church 5k Run for Missions
- April 26: Gold Hill Rail Trail Hike
Between the Lee Street Theatre, The Meroney, and The Norvell Theater there are quite a few plays and productions to view. Between March 5 and 14 the Meroney is performing “Rumors.” April 2-11 they are performing “A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum.” The Norvell Theater will be performing Dreamwork’s “Madagascar” from April 23-May 2. The Lee Street Theatre will be performing “The Trip to Bountiful” March 5-7 and “The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime” April 16-18, 23-25. Visit each of their websites for specific times and date information, as well as prices.
Spring is a wonderful time to open the windows and do a little extra cleaning. The City of Salisbury is willing to help out by collecting extra garbage as well as appliances and tires without rims on your regularly scheduled collection day during the week of April 13-17. These items must be placed outside at the curb before 7 a.m. If you are willing to do a little more to help keep our county beautiful, you can join the Spring Clean on March 21 from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. The check in for this event is at City Hall at 8 a.m. During check in you will be given a location assignment as well as materials to assist in the cleaning.
Fun for All Ages
There are so many wonderful events scheduled for March, April, and May. Whether you are parents trying to figure out how to entertain young children or an adult trying to find something new to try, you don’t even have to travel outside of our county to find something wonderful to do. Here are a few more local activities that you do not want to miss:
- March 7: Barn Quilt Mural Project –Barn Quilt Workshop
- March 7: Justin Monroe and Victor Isler 2020 Memorial (Fire Station #5)
- March 28: Waterworks Classes for youth and children
- April 4: Ring in Spring at the Gateway Park
- April 4: Brunch with the Easter Bunny at Patterson Farm
- April 4: China Grove Community Easter Egg Hunt 10:00 am
- April 4-11: (Varying Dates) Egg-cellent Adventure at Patterson Farm
- April 4: Easter Bunny Express at the NC Transportation Museum
- April 11: Easter Egg Hunt and Spring Fest in Historic Gold Hill
- April 18: Cruisin’ the Grove in China Grove
- April 18: Touch a Truck Salisbury NC